My name is Karee and I am the mother of three beautiful blessings, Sophia 10, Clayton 3, and Cason 9 months. My oldest son Clayton was diagnosed with autism in January of 2011. I have dedicated my life to serving God, Sharing my true love for my Savior Jesus Christ, being the best mom I can be, and raising autism awareness by having a voice in the autism community. For my hobbies I sing in a worship band called The Magic Valley Jubilee and also am starting my own party planning business.
Saturday, August 6, 2011
New Beginnings
Here's to new beginnings! This is so true to my life right now in many ways. In my last blog I stated that I wanted to use this as a line of communication for people who do not have a special needs child so we as parents can spread awareness. I think it's also quite obvious that I want this to be a place for support and comfort. Being a parent of a child with autism it's hard to find people to talk to that truly understand. The third opportunity I would like to take with this blog is to start my non-profit organization for families affected by autism. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and didn't know how to start. I still don't, but I think I am ready to take that leap of faith. It's always scary to start something new and to not know what's coming next. I feel that's it's time to put my faith in God, and see how He wants to use me to help others. I know when I first got Clayton's diagnosis, just going online and reading what other parents had to say was comforting for me. Even now when I read a story or a blog I cry, just to know we are not alone in this journey. Living in a small town and not being home with my family really took it's toll on my spirit. In a small town, believe me it's hard to find other families to talk to in the same situation. They say that every 110 children have autism (actually the number I believe has gone up recently) but I've wondered where they are. I'm sure in a bigger city this is less of a problem, but here it can feel very hopeless and lonely. A good example is recently I spoke with the director of Children's Sunday School at my church. Upon her concern of my son joining his age group class I asked her if we could start a special needs Sunday school class. She told me that there was no need for it because she doesn't know of any special needs children other than my son. Again there was that feeling of being alone. So after consideration I decided to start this blog. If I'm feeling this way there are so many others out there feeling the same. As for the non-profit organization obviously it will have to start off small. Every little bit helps though. Eventually I want this to be an organization that helps families especially single parents who are affected by autism. Having a special needs child will never be easy. We will always have to worry about our children's present and future. We will always have to fight for them in so many ways. That's why God chose us to be their parents, we are fighters and always will be for our kids. This burden we carry will always be heavy on our shoulders, but if we can talk and support each other it will lighten the load a little. The tears will never stop, but just having someone there to wipe our tears gives us all hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to go! You will be awesome!!! It's nice to see a woman who is willing to help others, rather than tear them down.
ReplyDelete